Monday, September 6, 2010

Lesson 5 - Estar (to be)

Hello, my readers. Today, we're going to learn the portuguese verb "Estar".

"Estar" indicates a temporary state or condition. For example, when one says "Estou feliz I'm happy", he's talking about his present condition, which could change anytime.
But when one says "Eu sou feliz I'm happy", it sounds like he's telling somebody he's always unconditionally happy.
"Estar" could also indicate one's localization, as in "Eu estou na igreja I'm at the church", or could form the portuguese present continuous tense, like "Eu estou comendo bolo I'm eating cake".

Below, the inflection of the verb "Estar" in the present:

Eu estou
Você está (Tu estás)
Ele está
Nós estamos
Vocês estão (Vós estais)
Eles estão

I included "Tu" and "Vós" because they could be useful in certain circunstances, like reading some portuguese books or talking to portuguese people.

Below, some examples of the usage of "estar":

1- Eu estou nervoso por causa da prova de matemática.
I'm nervous because of the math exam.
2- Meu irmão está cantando uma música folclórica.
My brother is singing a folk song.
3- O livro está em cima da minha cama.
The book is on my bed.

Vocabulary - 1

Em cima On
Em baixo Under
Ao lado de Beside
No meio Between
Dentro In, inside
Fora Out, outside
À esquerda To the left
À direita To the right
Atrás Behind
Na frente de In front of

Examples:

A criança está em cima da mesa. The child is on the table.
O menino está dentro da caixa. The boy is inside the box.
O carro está na frente da escola. The car is in front of the school.
Eu estou ao lado de minha mãe. I'm beside my mother.
A caixa de cartas está à direita de minha casa. The mailbox is at the right side of my house.
Minha sala está à esquerda de meu quarto. My living room is to the left side of my room.
Eu estou fora de casa. I'm out my house.
Meu irmão está embaixo da cama. My brother is under the bed.

Vocabulary - 2

Sala Living room
Sofá Sofa
Televisão Television
Tapete Carpet
Mesa Table
Cadeira Chair
Janela Window
Porta Door
Almofada Cushion
Estante de livros Bookshelf
Aparelho de DVD DVD player
Rádio Radio
Banheiro Bathroom, WC
Vaso sanitário Toilet
Pia Lavatory basin
Box Shower-box
Toalha Towel
Sabonete Soap
Xampú Shampoo
Armário Wall Cabinet
Chuveiro Shower
Esponja Sponge
Quarto Sleeping room
Cama Bed
Travesseiro Pillow
Cobertor Blanket
Lençol Sheet
Pantufa Slipper
Chinelo Sandal
Sapato Shoe
Tênis Tennis Shoes
Roupas Clothes
Calça Pants
Saia Skirt
Camisa Shirt
Vestido Dress
Blusa Blouse
Jaqueta Jacket
Cozinha Kitchen
Garfo Fork
Faca Knife
Prato Dish
Colher Spoon
Geladeira Freezer
Fogão Stove
Lavanderia Laundry
Cesto de roupas It's a kind of basket to put the dirty clothes before washing them.
Lavadeira Washing machine
Quintal Yard
Grama Grass
Piscina Swimming-pool
Rede Hammock
Churrasqueira Barbecue (fireplace)

Let's try to make some simple sentences with the vocabulary I taught you today! You can send them to my e-mail, if you want. I've already posted my e-mail address to this blog in the Lesson 4.

See you next time!
Até a próxima!!

Grande abraço a todos os leitores!

No comments:

Post a Comment