Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Lesson 7 - Text

Olá, leitores! Hello, readers!
Como vocês têm estado ultimamente? How have you been recently?


Let's start a new portuguese lesson! As we have already learned the verbs and their conjugation, let's try a simple text today! Don't worry, it'll be very easy to read. So, let's start it!




Texto - Minha família

Minha família tem cinco pessoas: eu, meus dois irmãos mais novos e meus pais. Temos também um cachorro preto. Seu nome é Trovão! Nós moramos no interior do estado de São Paulo. Aqui, temos uma paisagem cheia de natureza e as ruas são seguras. 
Eu estudo em Campinas, uma grande cidade vizinha. Meu irmão Henrique gosta de gançar e meu irmão Marcelo toca bateria e contra-baixo. Meus pais são professores de português, inglês e alemão. 
Meu cachorro é barulhento e preguiçoso, mas é muito lindinho! Gosto muito de morar aqui!
Text - My family

My family is formed by five people: me, my two youger brothers and my parents. We also have a black dog. His name is "Trovão" (Thunder)! We live in the countryside of the state of São Paulo. Here, we have a landscape full of nature and the streets ar safe.
I study in Campinas, a big neighbour city. My brother Henrique likes to dance and my brother Marcelo plays the drums and the bass.My parents are portuguese, english and german teachers.
My dog is very noisy and lazy, but he is very cute! I love to live here!

Vocabulary

Texto-Text
Família-Family
Pessoa-Person
Irmão mais novo-Youger brother
Irmão mais velho-Elder brother
Pais-Parents
Cachorro-Dog
Preto-Black
Azul-Blue
Amarelo-Yellow
Vermelho-Red
Verde-Green
Branco-White
Nome-Name
Morar-To live, to inhabit
Interior-Countryside
Estado-State
Aqui-Here
Aí-There (near the listener)
Ali-There (far from both the speaker and the listener)
Lá-There (farther than "Ali")
Paisagem-Landscape
Cheio de...-Full of...
Natureza-Nature
Rua-Street
Seguro-Safe
Estudar-To study
Cidade-City
Vizinho-Neighbor
Gostar de...-To like to...
Dançar-To dance
Tocar-To play, to touch (in other context)
Bateria-Drums
Contra-baixo-Bass
Violão-Guitar
Guitarra-Eletric guitar
Piano-Piano
Teclado-Keyboard
Barulhento-Noisy
Preguiçoso-Lazy
Mas -But
Lindinho-Cute
Muito-So much, very

Gramática
Grammar


Preposições ‐ Prepositions

There are some prepositions that appeared in the text, which we're going to learn today.

Em In
De Of
Para For, to 

These are their neuter forms. These forms can vary deppending on the gender and the article of the succeeding noun.See examples below:

Em in
No in the (masculine) ex: No carro in the car
Na in the (femenine) ex: Na escola in the school

De
Do of the (masculine) ex: Do menino of the boy
Da of the (femenine) ex: Da menina of the girl

Para
Pro to/for the (masculine) ex: Pro seu irmão for your brother
Pra to/for the (femenine) ex: Pra sua mãe for your mother


Uso do verbo "gostar" Usage of the verb "gostar" (to like)

The verb "gostar" always needs the preposition "de" to be connected with an object, even if it's a verb. Ex:

Eu gosto de flores. I like flowers.
Meu irmão gosta de casas grandes. My brother likes big houses.
Eu gosto de correr. I like to run.
Meu pai gosta de ouvir música. My father likes to listen to music.


See you next time! Até mais, leitores!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this course. I have just returned from my 4th visit to Brasil and every time I come home I feel my Portuguese is improving - but since I don't practice it much in the UK, I forget it again and have to start again! Hopefully your course will help me keep my skills up.

    Obrigada! Beijos

    ReplyDelete