Saturday, August 14, 2010

Lesson 1 - Self introduction and greetings

Hello everybody! Today, I'm going to teach you how to introduce yourselves in portuguese. It's quite easy and simple to introduce oneself, since brazilian people are not so formal!
But there's a good hint for you all: always smile when you meet somebody! Brazilians love high-spirited people! So let's start the
class!

Firstly, I'm going to teach you how tho say the personal pronoms in portuguese. Do you remember them in english?
I, you, he, she, it, we, you, they! The only difference is that we don't have an "it" in portuguese! I'm going to write the portuguese ones and their translations below.

Eu→ I
Você→ You
Ele→ He
Ela→ She
Nós→ We
Vocês→ You
Eles→ They

People in some parts of Brazil still use the old "Tu" and "Vós", but it's quite rare nowadays! Portuguese people still use them indeed, but I'm teaching you the brazilian way, so I'll always use "Você" and "Vocês" here!

Now, let's learn the portuguese verb
to be. Without it, we cannot progress to a self introduction!
Portuguese verbs are a little more difficult than english ones, because all of them change depending on about who one is talking about. The verb to be is not an exception, and like in english, it's an irregular verb; in other words, it doesn't follow any rule! See below.

Eu sou→I am
Você é→You are
Ele(a) é→He/she is
Nós somos→We are
Vocês são→You are
Eles são→They are

There's no way to remember it except learning it by heart. But as it's the most used verb, I assure you you'll learn it easily!

So let's learn some greetings! They're absolutely necessary in everyday life!

Bom dia→ Good morning
Boa tarde→ Good afternoon
Boa noite→ Good evening or Good night
Oi
or Olá→ Hi, Hello

Tudo bem?→ How are you doing?
(literally translating, "Is everything alright?")
Como vai?→ How are you doing?
(literally translating, "How is it going?")
Beleza?→ What's up?
(It's quite colloquial. Don't say it to people you don't know)
Estou bem→ I'm fine.
Tudo (bem)→ I'm fine
(literally speaking, "Everything's ok". One can say only "Tudo" to answer the "Tudo bem?" question)
Sim, obrigado→ Yes, thanks
(answering to "Tudo bem?")
E você?→ And you?
Qual é o seu nome?→ What is your name?
Meu nome é...→ My name is...
Muito prazer→ Nice to meet you!
Prazer em conhecê-lo→ Nice to meet you.
(literally saying, prazer = pleasure)
Prazer→ Nice to meet you
(it's more informal)
O prazer é todo meu→ Nice to meet you, too!
(Literally translating, "the pleasure is all mine")
Tchau→ Goodbye
Obrigado→ Thank you


Now you can introduce yourself to a brazilian! I'm going to introduce myself next.

I could say:
Olá, Tudo bem? Meu nome é Rubens. Muito prazer!

Or I could also say:
Boa tarde, como vai? Eu sou Rubens. Prazer em conhecê-lo!

As you can see, portuguese is a very
free language! If one learns it properly, one can express his feelings by many ways! I hope you readers can learn it well, and I swear I'll do my best to support you as much as it's possible to!

Today, we're gonna stop here. I hope I can help many people writing this blog and I'm sorry about my bad english. I promise I'll study more!


So, see you guys!

Tchau, tchau!

1 comment: